Friday, March 13, 2009

now that you've read the books and seen the 1st movie--

So now that you've read the book(s) and seen the movie--
let's compare & contrast!

The meadow scene: letdown, or just the right amount of lovesick staring into each other's eyes?
Edward's skin: sparkly enough? I thought it would be more sparkly.
Special effects: the vampire jumping around, the vampire running--kewl enough? Most critics said no. Oh well, Chris Weitz will definitely upgrade the shiz out of that in New Moon, or he'd better considering he was hired (so the blogosphere says) cuz he has experience with CGI and shit from The Golden Compass! (Although that was kind of a failure, commercially...visually it was aight I guess.)
Rpatz's acting: I thought it was TIGHT!! Even more reason to fall in love with Edward. Cuz I like how he's brooding and emo in the movie; in the books Edward is actually really arrogant and takes things too seriously, OR he's always "snickering," laughing at shit, thinking he's too good for the rest of us (which...well...he is!)
Well, basically Rpatz can do no wrong in my eyes...
K-stew's acting: At first I thought this chick was NOT HOT ENOUGH to play Bella. But actually Kristen Stewart is a babe--as one of my male friends put it, "total BABEraham." I saw that when I looked up pix of her in "real life," AKA not real life but photo shoots of her as herself and not in character. Like that famous spread in Vanity Fair and shit. I'm strangely drawn to her look--there are definitely lots of pix of her where she's quite plain, but she can look very very pretty too.
Besides, isn't it S.Meyer's point that Bella is not as good-looking as Edward?? So I guess the casting and styling was perfectly appropriate!
But what about her acting? K-stew was supposedly the most experienced actor in the young cast; she has had some critical acclaim too but I'm going to hold off on dissecting this for a future post.

I'm not liking how the Prom scene was played in the movie--Bella's dress and look is supposed to be more FABULOUS, not T.J. Maxx Tween. S.Meyer made a big deal in the book (and in deleted chapters that she's posted on her personal webpage) that Bella was wearing a high-ass strappy stiletto to prom. What the fuck with the Converse shoe?!?! That's totally K-stew style, NOT true to character! Bad K-stew!
Plus Bella was supposed to resist, not go willingly.

Ballet studio/fight scene--I was fine with it the first time I saw it, but the 2nd and 3rd time, it looked too short, not violent enough? Also, what was with Alice being the one to jump on James and break his neck?

I also like how in the book they never said Laurent was black, they said he was a pale olive-skinned dude with a French accent. BTW, isn't "pale" combined with "olive-skinned" kind of an oxymoron?

I'm sure I'll notice more shit after watching the DVD, cuz I'm definitely buying it the day it comes out, and making all my hapless friends watch it with me.

What did U notice?

No comments:

Post a Comment