Sunday, March 15, 2009

if it were

Reading Twilight books 1-4, I was always very frustrated at S.Meyer's seeming inability to use the subjunctive tense. She would always write "If I was..." instead of saying "If I were..."

I know many (most?) Americans don't use the subjunctive colloquially, but two wrongs don't make a right.

Also, Meyer is a college graduate with a degree in English. What the fuck is a college degree good for if it doesn't come with a command of one's native language??

So, I was re-reading Midnight Sun (because Edward >>> Bella) and to my surprise, Meyer used the subjunctive!!
page 29: "She must have wondered...whether she were the cause."

So, this means Meyer does know how to use the subjunctive, and for some reason fucked up the last 4 books; or someone at that godforsaken tween hits publishing house caught onto this shit and told her to get it together.
OR, Midnight Sun >>> Twilight Saga books 1-4
Which might very well be possible!!!

UPDATE: never mind, because just a short while later, on page 33, Meyer writes: "as if there was something important or unusual about them."
So, Meyer is just grammatically incompetent!
Come on, Little, Brown, & Co!!!!! You're better than this!

2 comments:

  1. Subjunctive is a mood, not a tense. But I agree, it drives me nuts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You seem really smart, you should guest-write some posts!!

    ReplyDelete