Saturday, March 14, 2009

fan bases, sexuality, and fangirls

So, if you couldn't already tell, I'm pretty attuned to the whole women/gender/sexuality/feminism/power construct shit. And I've been thinking.

It's socially acceptable for 5,000 screaming girls to mob a Rob Pattinson mall event and beg him to "bite me" and "have my babies" and (as Tyra Banks said) "throw them draw'rs" (throw panties) at him.

Would it be socially acceptable for 5,000 fourteen year old males to go to a Megan Fox promo event (perhaps for the new Transformers movie? which I am excited about seeing, proving that I can be excited about things other than Twilight), and ask her to have sex with them? And scream stuff like, "Let's make a sex tape!" or "Ride my Camaro!" or other dumb shit like that, whatever would be on par with what Twilighters scream?

I bet a lot of women would take offense to young boyz treating Megan Fox like such a piece of meat!

Is there a double standard with gender and acceptable fan behavior?

Also, I was thinking. Zac Efron inspires crazy fangirl behavior too. And if you think about it, a lot of good-looking male singers and actors have a 99% female fanbase. I mean, the whole reason Twilight made so much bank was because female fans COME OUT like no other. So, female fans make bank. Are good-looking female celebs losing out on this bankability?!
And one of the age-old questions of feminists: Are females sabotaging themselves??

Just some thoughts.

No comments:

Post a Comment